Friday, July 3, 2020

WWF Goes MAD


Two of my favorite things as a kid come together as one - professional wrestling and MAD magazine! Great cover by Mort Drucker! MAD did a funny parody of the yearly
“Pro Wrestling Predictions” article that many of the magazines used to do. I REALLY laughed at the one about Dr. Ruth Westheimer analyzing Roddy Piper. People used to wonder if Piper and Orton were “fags” back in the day, especially after a Saturday Night’s Main Event video package on the two seemed to capture their most…uh…‘bromantic’ moments. 'Bromance’ wasn’t a term used in the '80s, by the way—the other less-friendly term was.
This may have actually been my first issue of MAD. With my being a big wrestling fan, I could see my dad taking the perfect opportunity to get me started as a reader by getting it for me. Thanks, dad! 
Later on, I had a multi-year subscription to both MAD AND WWF magazines! Kids today NEED things like MAD and wrestling magazines; the fact that both are dying out depresses me.


No comments:

Post a Comment